Our Lions and Dragonfly classes are a long-standing tradition at Brooklyn Preschool. For Fall of 2018, we’re delighted to announce our first Jellyfish class, for 2-3 year olds!
Days, Times, and Age-eligibility
The Jellyfish Class is our class for 2 and 3-year old students. To be age-eligible for the Jellyfish class, students must turn 2 by September 1st of the enrolling school year. The Jellyfish class meets 2 days a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10:00am – 12:00pm. The Jellyfish class enrolls up to 8 students, with a ratio of 1 adult to every 2.6 children at full enrollment.
The Lions Class is our class for 3 and 4-year old students. To be age-eligible for the Lions class, students must turn 3 by September 1st of the enrolling school year. The Lions class meets 2 days a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays, from 9:30am to 12:30pm. The Lions class enrolls up to 16 students, with a ratio of 1 adult to every 4 children at full enrollment.
The Dragonfly Class is our class for 4 and 5-year olds. To be age-eligible for the Dragonfly class, students must turn 4 by September 1 of the enrolling school year. The Dragonfly class meets 3 days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from 9:30am to 12:30pm. The Dragonfly class enrolls up to 18 students, with a ratio of 1 adult to every 4.5 students at full enrollment.
Our School Day
What happens during a typical preschool day? Here’s what it looks like at Brooklyn, for a Dragonfly or Lions class:
- The day begins at 9:30 am with morning circle time. The students, parents, and teacher sing hello and goodbye. The teacher engages the students in an interactive discussion about the day’s activities, a weekly or seasonal theme, or an upcoming event.
- Open play time starts by 10 am. During this time, students are free to choose their own adventure. Classroom materials and projects are changed daily, weekly, and seasonally, so that students continue to engage in the classroom environment in different ways.
- Community snack time takes place around 11:15. We provide a vegetarian, nut-free snack at school each day. Students get to pass plates of food around a shared table, serve themselves, and clean their own dishes. Our snack preparation always accommodates students with dietary restrictions.
- Open play moves outdoors from 11:45 to 12:15. Students are free to climb on the play-structures, ride trikes and bikes, play ball, dig in the sandbox, share the tire swing, cook in the mud kitchen, engage in group play, and more.
- At 12:15, students return to the classroom for closing circle and story time. The school day ends at 12:30. Parent teachers meet in the classroom for a short debrief of the day’s events. Students are free to continue playing outdoors, under parental supervision.